HENRY FORD
American machinist by trade; engineer and manufacturer of automobiles, tractors and aircraft.  Chief engineer of Edison Illuminating Co., organizer and president of Ford Motors Co.  Ford introduced the Model A, the V-8 Engine, built the Henry Ford Hospital, and much more, including a . . .
  
Small Village:  Originally developed by Henry Ford, and restored in 1956 by a grant from the Ford foundation.
  
Built in 1686, the Inn was said to be the oldest working tavern in the U.S.  Henry Ford acquired 2,500 acres around the tavern and decided to make it the focus of a pilgrim village community, an idea of real history.  He moved the “Little Red School House” made famous by the poem “Mary Had A Little Lamb” from Sterling, Massachusetts, to these grounds in 1927.  On the first day of school, he occupied a desk in the front row holding a lamb on a leash.  In 1929, he added the water-powered grist mill which still works to produce grains for sale at the Inn.  In 1940, Ford built a chapel here in memory of his mother-in-law.
  
Henry Longfellow, Mary Martin, Judy Garland, Mr.& Mrs. Calvin Coolidge, Thomas Edison, Guy Lombardo, and many, many other celebrities and dignitaries have gathered here.
  
Accommodations:
10 guest rooms, all have private baths.  Quaint and charming, furnished with antiques.  In the "Ford Room," the bay window was added by Ford in the 30’s.  He installed the fireplace and antique paneling in the Inn keeper’s room during which time he occupied both quarters as his private suite.
  
Features:
The village is situated on 106 acres of forest and cultivated fields on which much of the Inn’s seasonal produce is grown.  Traditional Yankee fare begins with a “Coow Woow,” America’s first cocktail, and ends with hot Indian pudding from the bake shop.  Delightful gift shop, bake shop, and chapel for weddings and special events.
 
- EC - MOD
 
< Back

Home Page | Reservations | E-Mail

©1999-2000 Celebrity Getaways International
*except where otherwise noted
All Rights Reserved